Container cargo handling up 12% at ParanaguáJul, 27, 2021 Posted by Ruth Hollard
In the first six months of this year, 5.6 million tons were transported in containers through the Port of Paranaguá in both trade directions – import and export. The volume is about 12% greater than the 5 million tons registered in the same period of 2020. Exports registered 2,973,873 tons of shipped cargo, and imports registered 2,589,673 tons.
Chicken is the most exported product via container by the Paraná terminal. From January to June, 875,872 tons left the Port of Paranaguá towards the international market. With an increase of 2% in relation to the 855,782 tons registered in the same period of the previous year, the product represents 33% of all container shipping through the port of Paraná.
About 80% of the frozen poultry meat that came out of Paranaguá in the first half, is produced in Paraná. The other 20% were divided between products from Mato Grosso do Sul, Goiás, Mato Grosso, Minas Gerais, Santa Catarina, São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul, Distrito Federal, and Espírito Santo.
China continues to be the main destination for chicken exported by TCP, a company that operates this type of cargo in Paraná. Japan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, South Africa, and over one hundred other countries are also chicken buyers.
Other products exported via container include wood (13% of handling, in tons); cellulose (7%), paper (3%), beef (3%), pork (2%), tanneries (2%), and fat and oils (2%). The remaining 35% is divided among 58 other types of products.
See the following DataLiner chart for the movement of containers in the long haul through the Port of Paranaguá since 2018:
Long-haul Import and Export through the Port of Paranaguá | Jan 2018 to May 2021 | TEU
Graph source: DataLiner (click here to request a demo)
Import – Among the most imported items in containers via the Port of Paranaguá are fertilizers, which represent 11% of the total products that arrive in this modality. In the first half of the year, 225,310 tons of products were landed in big bags – 15.7% less than last year (267,447 tons).
The second product that most arrives in containers at the Paraná terminal is plastic – 9% of the total imported in containers. In volume, plastic imports grew 44%. This year, from January to June, there were 185,773 tons. In 2020, in the same period, 128,939 tons were imported.
Other container cargo included organic chemical products (which represent 6% of the total); electrical machinery, equipment, and materials (5%); reactors, boilers, and industrial machines (5%); steel products (4%); rubber (4%); various products from the chemical industry (3%) and paper (3%). Another 50% is split between 64 different products.
Nov, 29, 2021
Rio de Janeiro registers the largest cargo movement of the year
Feb, 21, 2019
Três Corações plans to expand in South America
Jan, 03, 2023
High pork prices in China drive Brazilian meat industry earnings up in Dec/22
Oct, 20, 2021
FPA awaits meeting with shipowners to discuss container crisis